Monday, May 16, 2011

my grandparent's farm.






I have so many fond memories of my grandparent's Michigan farm. My grandparent's own 40 acres in the "thumb" of Michigan with hay fields, wooded trails, a creek, cattle, multiple barns, 3 tractors, a pumpkin patch and hundreds of eye catching, adventurous opportunities (especially for a kid).
My brother and cousins and I spent so much of our time roaming those grounds in the summertime. My brother and I spent a couple summers from Arizona at the farm without my parents...one in particular, we chose going to grandma and grandpa's over a second trip to Hawaii and my parents got a vacation for the two of them, while we explored the farm. My grandpa taught us city kids what 4H was and took us to the fair to show his cattle. My grandma taught us how to cook homemade pies and hang clothes out to dry. My brother and I didn't do these things in Arizona. My grandma would tour us around and introduce us to all our "kin folk." We slept many summer nights in their gazebo after bonfires and smores put us into a deep sleep. We caught lightning bugs in mason jars and fished crawdaddies out of the creek. And that summer in 8th grade when the man who would eventually become my husband dropped me off from our first date we hugged on that front porch. This farm has held a special place in my husband's heart from that point on too-as he helped me chase cows, wade down the creek, fish out of the culvert and eat many of grandma's home cooked meals. This is the house he would race from to make his parents curfew and eventually where we would gather antiques for our own home from.
This house and farm hold an incredible amount of memories for me and the two people who live here have made it my second home growing up. They have taught me about country living, life and love. I am now raising my family just 12 miles from this ol' farm and I never pass up an opportunity to let my kids explore the farm. These pictures show my son learning baking techniques from great grandma and driving great grandpa's tractors (his passion). Next Tuesday, my grandpa is getting his cattle delivered for the summer and we will be there to watch them unload. I am so grateful for all the incredible memories this place has provided me and now my family too. I love you grandma and grandpa and your farm on Rossman Road:)

No comments:

Post a Comment